Jalisco Civil Protection has issued a list of the six traffic tunnels in the metropolitan area that are most likely to be hit by flash flooding.
Rainy season downpours frequently cause tunnels to fill up rapidly. Transportation Department policy determine that tunnels should automatically be closed to traffic once water levels rise above 40 centimeters. In some tunnels, water levels can reach one meter or more after just 10 to 15 minutes of intense rain.
Civil Protection Director General José Trinidad López Rivas says the work carried out prior to the rainy season each year to remove rubbish trapped in drains doesn’t prevent flooding.
“Our hydraulic infrastructure is too ancient,” he says.
The tunnels most at risk in Guadalajara are:
- Mariano Otero and Lázaro Cárdenas
- Avenida Inglaterra and Niños Héroes
- Avenida Washington and Héroes Ferrocarrileros,
- Avenida Washington and Calzada Independencia
- Avenida Washington and 8 de Julio
- Avenida Washington and Roble