Guadalajara is gradually becoming known for its growing variety and quality of restaurants, with new ones opening and closing all the time. Word of mouth has always been the best recommendation for where to eat, and the Internet offers that option in abundance.
Among the top resources to search for dining options is Trip Advisor, which now has 607 Guadalajara restaurants cited on its site. Of course, even the top restaurants will get some nasty comments, but a lot can be read in to this that get the best recommendations.
Here’s a quick guide of the 15 top-rated restaurants in Guadalajara on Trip Advisor. All the comments have been translated from Spanish.
1. Pachuco. Mexican cuisine. $65-146 pp. Morelos 1743, Col. Americana. Mon-Sat, 2-10:30 p.m. (33) 3615-6191.
“The huarache de atún al pastor is quite a surprise, the rabbit flautas delicious. There’s lots of craft beers and a great ambience.”
2. La Tequila. Mexican cuisine. $244-488 pp. Avenida Mexico 2830, Col. Ladron de Guevara. Mon-Thur, 1 p.m.- midnight; Fri & Sat, 1 p.m.-12:30 a.m.; Sun, 1-6 p.m. (33) 3640-3440.
“Excellent food with a classic Tapatio touch. The guacamole with maguey worms, with a tequila, is the best.”
3. Pig’s Pearls. Burgers. $163-244 pp. General Coronado 79. Mon-Sat, 1 p.m.-midnight. (33) 3825-5933.
“Maple, lamb and pesto hamburgers. Grilled panela and marrow! Really the best food I have eaten in my life.”
4. Sagrantino. Italian and international. $358-570 pp. Golfo de Cortes 4152. Mon-Thur, 1 p.m.- 1 a.m.; Fri & Sat, 1 p.m.-2 a.m.; Sun, 1-9 p.m. (33) 3813-1379.
“I tried the ceviche with guayaba, lobster pasta, both very good. Desserts delicious.”
5. Allium: Cocina de Huerto. Mexican & International. $228-358 pp. Lopez Cotilla 1752-A, corner of Simon Bolivar. (33) 3615-6401.
“Delicious and original options with a menu that changes every few months.”
6. Tres & More. Fusion cuisine. $114-244. Lope de Vega 135. Tue-Thur, 1:30 p.m.-11 p.m.; Fri & Sat, 1 p.m.- midnight; Sun, 1-7 p.m. (33) 3615-7852.
“A gourmet restaurant with stupendous service, an informal atmosphere and reasonable prices. What more could you want?”
7. La Artesanal. Barbecue & grill. Jesus Garcia 2347, corner of Aurelio L. Gallardo. Mon-Sat, 2-11 p.m. (33) 3615-6356.
“Great meat, delicious salad and empanadas. The grilled peppers with cheese and sweetcorn were very good.”
8. I Latina. Author’s cuisine, fusion. $407-1,628 pp. Inglaterra 3128, Col. Vallarta. Tue-Sat, 7:30 p.m.-1 a.m. Sun, 1:30-6 p.m.
“Excellent, incomparable dishes. The Black Cod is one of the best I have tried. Ask for an arrayán margarita.”
9. La Vaca Argentina. Grill, pizza, Argentine. $326 pp. Tomas V. Gomez 25, Col. Ladron de Guevara. Mon-Sat, 2 p.m.-midnight. Sun, 2-6 p.m. (33) 3630-1160.
“Expensive but worth every peso. Delicious, juicy meats with an excellent flavor.”
10. Alaríz. Spanish contemporary. Calle Florencia 2818. Tue & Wed, 1:30-11:30 p.m. Thur-Sat, 1:30 p.m.- 1 a.m. Sun, 1:30-6 p.m. (33) 3146-3932.
“My wife and I dined here, great surprise. We started with marlin and duck pintxos, followed by robalo ceviche that was spectacular.”
11. La Moresca. Italian, pizza. $244-488. Av. Lopez Cotilla 1835, Col. Americana. Mon-Sun. 1:30 p.m.-3 a.m. (33) 3616-0412.
“Great mix of Italian and seafood.”
12. Cortazar Parilla de Autor. Grill, sandwiches, Argentine.$98-293. Justo Sierra 1976. Tue-Thur, 2-11 p.m., Fri & Sat, 2 p.m.-midnight. Sun, 2-7 p.m. (33) 4444-5347.
“Ideal for couples, cozy place full of delicious aromas. Must try Corazón de bife a caballo, it’s exquisite.”
13. Entre 2 Petit Bistro. $163-488. French, Mediterranean. Calderon de la Barca 119, Andador Lopez Cotilla. Mon-Sat, 1:30-11:30 p.m. Sun, 1:30-8 p.m. (33) 3630-6335.
“Warm, friendly, comfortable and exquisite food. Really charming. The hours just flow by.”
14. Anita li. Mexican fusion. $326-407. Inglaterra 3100. Mon-Thur, 1:30-6:30 p.m. Fri & Sat, 1:30 p.m.-midnight. (33) 3647-4757.
“The service is good but the flavors better. I ordered tacos de carne en salsa de cacahuate; they were delicious.”
15. Urbana Gourmet. Hot dogs. $49-65. Prisciliano Sanchez 1049, corner of Robles Gil. (33) 1593-2298.
“An excellent culinary proposition, from a simple hot dog to an authentic masterpiece, such as the hot dog with Camembert, pear and rocket. The Creme Brulee would dignify any Parisian restaurant.”