Last updateFri, 13 Mar 2015 5pm

Obituaries – Dryden Jones, Michael Hainsworth, Aida Texter

Dryden Jones

Dryden Jones died January 14 at his home in La Floresta at the age of 92. Jones was born in Cincinnati, Ohio on February 14, 1923. In the spring of 1942 he was accepted at Harvard Collage but in November of 1942 he asked for a leave of absence to join the military. Jones became a pilot and flew a C47 aircraft in the South Pacific. He was proud to serve his country and when the war was over stayed in touch with all his comrades and attended every reunion. Sadly only four of his comrades are still alive. After the war Jones studied and became an Architect, builder and land planner. He designed and developed Indian Hill, one of the most prestige’s development in the Cincinnati area. After 50 years the exquisite homes are still among the most elegant on “on the Hill”

In 1998 Jones, his wife and two dogs came to Ajijic. Never one to take it easy he built an addition onto the Anglican church and was involved in building several of large estate houses in this area.

Jones was a man of many facets. He loved people and had never a bad word to say about anyone, he tried to live his life to the best of his ability. 

Several Years ago Jones started Handy Mail. He treated every one of his customers as an extended family member. As time took its toll Jones had a hard time getting around, but his sunny disposition soon made people forget that his body was disabled.  His mind was still very intact.  

Jones will be missed, not just by his wife, but also by his many friends and his dogs,  who thought he was the sun the moon and the stars.

Jones is survived by his son Dryden Jr. of Cincinnati and his daughter Alice Jones of Berkley, California and several grandchildren and great grandchildren.

A memorial will be held at a later date.


Michael Hainsworth

Michael Hainsworth died in Guadalajara on December 26, 2014, from complications following an operation. He was 76.

Hainsworth’s lifelong sense of adventure and self-sufficiency came naturally. He was born in Peshawar, then part of pre-partition India, in 1938. Like many children of the British Raj, he was sent back to England to be educated, at the tender age of six. After leaving Wellington College, he was part of the last intake into Britain’s national service, and was commissioned as an officer in the elite submarine service. 

Having travelled to Canada during his time in the Royal Navy, he decided to try life in Montreal and moved there in 1962. He met his wife Jane in 1966. They married in England in 1968, and son, Myles was born in 1971. Life in Montreal was turbulent and interesting and they stayed there until 1996, when Hainsworth took early retirement from his job as Director of Marketing Communications at Concordia University, and Jane’s job took them to Toronto. 

The following years were very happy for Hainsworth. He studied with one of the world’s great tai chi masters, taught qigong and qualified in shiatsu massage. He played golf and crisscrossed Lake Ontario in their sailboat.

In 2001, Canadian winters drove them south to Lakeside and the sun and warmth of his childhood. Here he continued to teach tai chi until his death, and immensely enjoyed his golf with good friends, discussing the world, traveling, visiting the coast, and his beloved dogs. Perhaps his love of dancing the night away best personified how Hainsworth felt about life.

Jane and Myles will miss him always, as will his sister Coral, brother-in-law John, all his family in England and good friends everywhere.  He was a man who danced to the beat of his own drum.

Alda Texter

Aida Ramirez Texter when she passed away  from pneumonia on January 24 in Hospital Bernadette, Guadalajara. Her daughter Maria was with her at her passing.

Texter was born in New York City in December 22, 1927. A dancer from the time she could walk, Texter studied both classical ballet and Spanish flamenco dance as a child and young adult. Accepted into the American School of Ballet as a teenager she was trained by that exceptional faculty including by director and founder, George Balanchine.  At 17 she went to Sarasota, Florida and joined the Ringling Brothers Traveling Circus as a ballet dancer… for one summer. As a professional performer in her tw

enties Texter chose to focus on Flamenco and toured with the world famous company Antonio and Rosario where she met her future husband and dance partner, Roberto Iglesias. In 1955 Iglesias, with dance partner and wife Texter, formed Roberto Iglesias Ballet and Spainish, European and South American critics hailed it as the purest of the Spanish dance companies. Their performance at Carnegie Hall in New York City in 1957 resulted in outstanding reviews from critics and the company was offered a contract by Impresario Sol Hurok who presented them on Broadway and across the United States and Canada for the next several years.

Igesias and Texter later divorced and she raised their daughters with second husband, Flamenco guitarist William Barton Texter, in Chicago, Illinois and Naples, Florida. The couple retired to the Racquet Club in San Juan Cosala in 1998.

Texter was preceded in death by her husband William Texter in April, 2013. She is survived by daughters, Aida Rosario (Iglesias) Wages, New Albany, Indiana; Maria Dolores (Iglesias) Partridge, Reno, Nevada; grandchildren, Joshua Hollis, Walton, Kentucky and Erica (Hollis) Norrington, New Albany, Indiana; great grandchildren, Margot and Elliot Hollis and Mia and Reid Norrington.

A beautiful and talented artist, friend of many, she will be missed.