Last updateTue, 15 Jul 2014 3pm

Traveling minors need notarized letters to leave

As of January 25, young persons aged 17 or under may not enter or leave Mexico on their own without a notarized letter/form signed by their parents or legal guardians.

The measure was introduced in 2013 but put on hold for a year by the National Immigration Institute (INM).

The INM says airlines in Mexico are able to download the official forms from the Internet, as well as provide a list of notaries able to provide the service.

Letters elaborated abroad must be legalized, witnessed and translated into Spanish. 

The following information is required on the forms: name and nationality of the minor, date of birth, period of travel and the full  names, signatures and IDs of the parents or guardians.